Merge & Al's Excellent Adventures

3 min read

All good things come to an end

Day 11 — Today was the last day of our road trip, and it involved us catching two ferries! We had made a reservation on the ferry that leaves Coupeville (on Whidbey Island) for Port Townsend at 11:45 AM, so we needed to be there latest by 11:15 AM. Since our hotel was only about 25 minutes from the ferry terminal, that meant we were in no major rush in the morning. We easily got there and were waiting in line to board the car at about 11 AM. The ferry ride itself was short 35 minutes, but what was quirky and fun is that the staff on this ferry put out jigsaw puzzles on a few tables. The idea is that you work on one, and then another person on a later journey continues, and so on. Merge was tickled pink, and made her contribution in the 30 minutes she had available.

So much fun!! All ferry rides should be like this!
The view from the ferry coming into Port Townsend

Once we disembarked at Port Townsend, we decided to make our way straight to Port Angeles. Good thing, because there was lots of road construction along the way, and we had several waits where traffic could travel in only one direction. The drive is normally an hour, and it took us almost 90 minutes. But we still arrived in Port Angeles with plenty of time to spare before needing to report at 4:15 PM (for the 5:15 ferry). We used the time to walk around the downtown and explore a few of the shops. We also stopped in again at Turnip the Beet, a fabulous eatery we had discovered only a week ago. What was even nicer was that the staff recognized us from our previous visit!

As we drove up to the Port Angeles ferry terminal for our trip back to Victoria on the Coho, it was bittersweet — exciting to be going home, but sad that yet another great travel adventure was over. Before long, we were on board, and in another 90 minutes, we could see the familiar landmarks in Victoria Harbour.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *